Progresso® broth provides a simple addition to this gumbo that features chicken, sausage and shrimp - a hearty Cajun-style dish for a dinner party.
Recipe From bettycrocker.com
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 12
In this classic stew perfect for a winter dinner, chicken and andouille sausage are simmered in celery, onions, and bell pepper, the mainstays of Creole and Cajun cooking.
Recipe From marthastewart.com
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 15
I learned to cook in Louisiana and I love to cook Cajun food. This cajun gumbo recipe is one of my favorites. -Paul Morris, Kelso, Washington
Recipe From tasteofhome.com
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 20 servings (1-1/4 cups each).
Number Of Ingredients 19
Put a European spin on a traditional gumbo recipe. This delicious Italian-Style Gumbo Recipe is made with shrimp, Italian sausage and Parmesan cheese.
Recipe From myfoodandfamily.com
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield 8 servings, 1 cup each
Number Of Ingredients 11
I am going to give you my gumbo recipe. I learned to cook from my mother and grandmother who were born and raised in New Orleans and really knew how to cook. Most of the time, you could not get them to write down their recipes because they used a 'pinch' of this and 'just enough of that' and 'two fingers of water,' and so on. This recipe is a combination of both of their recipes which I have added to over the years. Serve over hot cooked rice. The gumbo can be frozen or refrigerated and many people like it better the next day. Bon appetit!
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Mddoccook
Number Of Ingredients 24
A low-fat Creole-inspired okra and green pepper stew with cayenne, paprika, cumin and thyme
Recipe From bbcgoodfood.com
Provided by Katy Greenwood
Categories Lunch, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 17
Gumbo is one dish that makes Louisiana cuisine so famous. We live across the state line in Texas and can't seem to get enough of this traditional gumbo recipe that features okra, shrimp, spicy seasonings and what is called the holy trinity-onions, green peppers and celery. This recipe calls for seafood, but you could also use chicken, duck or sausage. -Ruth Aubey, San Antonio, Texas
Recipe From tasteofhome.com
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 24 servings (6 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 16
An authentic Louisiana casserole with Creole spices, veggies, ham and a rich sauce - a one pot-with bite
Recipe From bbcgoodfood.com
Provided by Sarah Cook
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 12
People also searched
More about "gumbo recipes"
GUMBO RECIPE - ADD A PINCH
2013-05-15 · Remove chicken from water and set-aside to cool. Add butter, onion, celery, bell pepper, okra, and garlic to chicken stock. Pull chicken from …
- Wash chicken and place into a large Dutch oven. Cover with water plus about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for about 2 hours. Remove chicken from water and set-aside to cool. Add butter, onion, celery, bell pepper, okra, and garlic to chicken stock.
- Pull chicken from the bone and add back to the stock. Add in Polish sausage, and ham. Cook for about 10 minutes to allow all the juices to incorporate.
- Pour in diced tomates and diced tomatoes with peppers. Smash Navy beans with a fork while in the can and then pour into the Gumbo along with Ole Bay seasoning and bay leaves.
- Bring Gumbo to a boil and stir in additional chicken stock. Cook for 10-15 minutes and then stir in shrimp. Cook until shrimp has turned pink, about 5 more minutes.
NEW ORLEANS GUMBO WITH SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE RECIPE | …
2020-05-17 · Basic ingredients in gumbo: Oil: Is one of the two ingredients needed to make the roux. All-purpose flour: Is the other ingredient need to …
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or a heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour until combined and smooth. Switch to a wooden spoon and continuously stir for 15-22 minutes or until the roux darkens to just past a deep peanut butter color. Do not let the roux burn! (if you smell it burning, you will need to throw is out, clean the pot, and start over, unfortunately there's just no saving burnt roux!)
- Once the roux reaches that deep rich brown color, stir in the onions, bell peppers, and celery and continue to cook, stirring as needed so the vegetables don't stick. About 8-10 minutes or until the veggies soften. Add the garlic, andouille sausage (if using tofurky, do not add yet), and bay leaves. Continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the garlic is nice and fragrant.
- Add the cajun seasoning, tabasco sauce, and cayenne along with the chicken broth and stewed tomatoes and bring to a high simmer before lowering the heat to medium-low, covering and simmering for 15-20 minutes.
- IF USING TOFURKY: Add a teaspoon of oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add the slices and cook for a quick 90 seconds (turning half way) just to sear the outside before adding to the gumbo.
EASY CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE - SPEND …
2019-02-26 · Add the chicken and bring the soup to a boil. Turn the heat to low. Add the bay leaf, okra, salt and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. …
- Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until the mixture starts to turn golden brown and smell nutty, approximately 3-4 minutes. (Do not stop whisking or the roux will burn.)
- Stir in the onion, bell pepper and celery. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the vegetables begin to soften.
EASY GUMBO RECIPE - LEMONSFORLULU.COM
2021-10-20 · How to Make Easy Gumbo Recipe. Place a large pot over medium heat on the stove and add in your olive oil. Whisk in the flour continually until …
- Heat a stock pot or large deep skillet over medium heat. Add oil, followed by flour and whisk continuously until mixture is thick and darkens (about the color of peanut butter).
- Stir in veggie mix. Season with thyme, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir in garlic and tomato paste.
- Bring mixture to a low boil. Allow gumbo to cook for 30 minutes. Add cod, crabmeat, and shrimp, cook another 5 minutes. Serve with freekeh or rice.
CHICKEN, CRAB & ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE ...
2020-02-24 · Add stock, tomatoes, vinegar, chicken, and all other dry ingredients. Simmer on low to medium heat for at least 1 hour. Add salt, white pepper, …
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat and cook the bacon, set the bacon aside to drain and measure the bacon renderings to 1 cup and reserve the rest for cooking the vegetables or another use. If you don't have enough bacon renderings melt enough butter to add to the bacon grease to make one cup.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil or bacon grease to the cast iron skillet you cooked the bacon in and cook the onion and bell pepper until soft and set aside.
- Add the 1 cup of the bacon fat to the skillet over medium heat and stir in the flour. Lower the heat to low and cook for at least 1 hour, stirring every 5 minutes. The roux should be thick, but not chalky. A little grease will probably separate from the roux while cooking. When it is dark tan and smells like toasted nuts, it is done. Caution: The roux burns easily so watch it very carefully and stir often.
LOUISIANA GUMBO RECIPE | EATINGWELL
2016-06-03 · Step 2. Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; sauté until the onions are lightly browned, about …
- Heat a heavy cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the flour turns a deep golden color, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the flour to a plate and let cool. (There will be a strong aroma similar to burnt toast. Be careful not to let the flour burn; reduce the heat if flour seems to be browning too quickly.) Alternately, toast the flour in a pie plate in a 400 degrees F oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; sauté until the onions are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in the toasted flour. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add tomatoes, okra, pepper, thyme, oregano, cayenne and bay leaf. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, covered, for 15 minutes longer.
- Add shrimp, chicken and sausage; simmer until the shrimp is opaque inside, the chicken is no longer pink and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes longer. Discard the bay leaf and season with salt. Ladle into bowls and serve with hot sauce.
HOW TO MAKE GUMBO: CLASSIC CREOLE GUMBO RECIPE - …
2020-09-16 · How to Make Gumbo: Classic Creole Gumbo Recipe - 2021 - MasterClass. Learn how to make the star of Creole cuisine at home.
- 1. Make a dark roux. In a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter, combine with flour, and whisk until the roux thickens and turns a dark brown color (almost burnt), about 10 minutes.
- 2. Reduce to medium-low heat and add the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Add diced tomatoes, okra, bay leaves, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper, and cook until vegetables have softened, about 5 more minutes.
AUTHENTIC NEW ORLEANS GUMBO - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
2019-12-11 · A “roux” is made with two ingredients; flour and oil, and it’s the key to any great gumbo recipe! The flour and oil are cooked and stirred together …
- Make the Roux*: In a large, heavy bottom stock pot combine flour and oil. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 30-45 minutes. This part takes patience--when it's finished it should be as dark as chocolate and have a soft, "cookie dough" like consistency. Be careful not to let it burn! Feel free to add a little more flour or oil as needed to reach this consistency.
- Brown the sausage. In a separate skillet on medium-high heat place the sausage slices in one layer in the pan. Brown them well on one side (2-3 minutes) and then use a fork to flip each over onto the other side to brown. Remove to a plate.
- Cook the vegetables in broth. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to the hot skillet that had the sausage to deglaze the pan. Pour the broth and drippings into your large soup pot.
- Add remaining 5 1/2 cups of chicken broth. Add veggies, parsley, and roux to the pot and stir well.
EASY SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE - HOW TO …
2021-11-05 · In a large, deep skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, then add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until dark caramel colored, about 10 minutes. …
NEW ORLEANS CHICKEN ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE GUMBO - JESSICA GAVIN
OUR BEST LOUISIANA-STYLE GUMBO RECIPES | MYRECIPES
2016-10-24 · Chicken-and-Sausage Gumbo Recipe. A symbol of Creole cooking, gumbo is ubiquitous in homes and restaurants across Louisiana. Andouille …
LOUISIANA GUMBO RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
2008-06-01 · Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, parsley, and meat. Mix well then slowly stir in the water. Bring …
GUMBO - WIKIPEDIA
Gumbo (Louisiana Creole: Gombo) is a stew popular in the U.S. state of Louisiana, and is the official state cuisine.Gumbo consists primarily of a …
LOUISIANA SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE | LOUISIANA TRAVEL
Add the thyme, stock, and bay leaves. Bring the gumbo to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir …
GUMBO RECIPE - PAULA DEEN
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove. Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of …
EMERIL'S CLASSIC SEAFOOD GUMBO | EMERILS.COM
Bring the gumbo to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer the gumbo for 1 hour, skimming the foam and any oil that rises to the surface. Season both the shrimp and the catfish with 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence. Stir the …
10 BEST GUMBO RECIPES | YUMMLY
2022-01-12 · Gumbo Williams-Sonoma. dried thyme, brown, lump crabmeat, hot sauce, all purpose flour and 16 more. Gumbo Life Currents Blog. bay leaf, garlic, celery, ground thyme, chili powder, cracked black pepper and 9 more. Gumbo …
TOP GUMBO RECIPES AND HOW TO MAKE A ROUX
2021-04-01 · This classic gumbo recipe includes the quintessential "holy trinity" of onion, celery, and bell pepper, and okra adds texture as well as a traditional flavor. The andouille sausage brings some heat to the dish and the shrimp …
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST GUMBO RECIPE WITH CHEF ISAAC …
2020-06-03 · Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Season the chicken thighs with 2 teaspoons of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the black pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, skin side up, and roast for ...
GUMBO RECIPES TO GET YOU THROUGH WINTER | SOUTHERN …
Recipe: Chicken-Tasso-Andouille Sausage Gumbo. Tasso is a spicy smoked cut of pork or beef popular in many Cajun dishes. When gumbo is served in Louisiana, filé powder (ground, dried sassafras leaves) is as common on the …
GUMBO RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Merwin's Shrimp Gumbo. This is a recipe for a classic, dark brown, shrimp gumbo in true Louisiana Cajun country fashion. Serve over rice. Browning the chicken pieces in the oil used for the roux adds flavor to the dish. I use the …
CAJUN INSPIRED SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE | SELF PROCLAIMED FOODIE
2020-07-21 · Seafood Gumbo, with shrimp, crab, chicken Andouille sausage, and okra is a spicy Cajun inspired meal served over rice or grits.. This recipe is not quick and easy as it takes …
- To make roux, whisk together flour and bacon drippings in a dutch oven and cook in 300 degree oven for 90 minutes, whisking every 15 minutes or so. This temperature should be hot enough to develop a rich dark roux without burning it, but if it smells like it's burning, reduce the temperature.
- While roux is cooking, pulse onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in a food processor. You want the cut pieces to be small as if you were dicing them with a knife.
- Once roux is done, transfer dutch oven to your stove top. Add onion mixture and sausage. Cook over medium low heat. You want to cook the vegetables and sausage while not burning the roux. Stir occasionally. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Slowly add beef broth to mixture in dutch oven. Scrape bottom of pan to loosen anything that stuck during the cooking process. Stir well to combine and bring to a simmer. Add sugar, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, tomatoes, tomato paste, and okra. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one hour.
SEAFOOD GUMBO - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
2018-02-02 · In a large pot, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add shrimp shells and cook until pink. Then add broth. Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove …
- In a large pot, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add shrimp shells and cook until pink. Then add broth.
- Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm until needed.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage until browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
CHICKEN SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO - IMMACULATE BITES
2019-10-21 · Below are the main components for this gumbo recipe: Meat. For this recipe, I use skinless chicken thighs, smoked sausages, crab legs and peeled and deveined shrimp. Holy …
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed Dutch Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, and then remove. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan combine melted butter, oil and flour until smooth.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 20-30 minutes or until it turns a rich dark brown color - just like chocolate. Don’t walk away from the stove during this process. It might burn.
CLASSIC NEW ORLEANS GUMBO RECIPE (STEP-BY-STEP) | HOW TO ...
2020-11-20 · Gumbo Ingredients. Flour – this is part of the base of the roux; Butter – and this combines with your flour to create the roux; Celery, bell peppers, and onions – the perfect …
- Make a roux by whisking the flour and 3/4 cup of butter together over medium heat until turns a rich mahogany brown color, about 20-30 minutes. Once the roux forms a smooth, mahogany brown mixture, remove from the heat and continue to whisk until it stops cooking.
- Place celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic into the work bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the vegetables and sausage into the roux and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Bring the water and beef bouillon cubes to a boil in a large soup pot. Whisk until the cubes dissolve, then whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Add in the sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, diced tomatoes, and tomatoes sauce. Simmer the soup over low heat for 1 hour.
- While the soup simmers, melt the remaining butter in a skillet and cook the okra with vinegar over medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the okra into the simmering gumbo.
NEW ORLEANS GUMBO | THE RECIPE CRITIC
2020-05-30 · Instructions. Heat butter over medium-low heat in a large deep pot. When melted, whisk in the flour a little at a time and then continue to cook, stirring constantly, until as dark as …
- Heat butter over medium-low heat in a large deep pot. When melted, whisk in the flour a little at a time and then continue to cook, stirring constantly, until as dark as chocolate, about 30-40 minutes.
- Add the onions, peppers, and celery and cook for 6-8 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, Cajun seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Add the okra and simmer another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a skillet with oil over medium high heat and cook sausage 2-3 minutes per side.
FAVORITE GUMBO RECIPE! | GIMME SOME OVEN
SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE - TODAY.COM
2021-12-31 · For the gumbo: 1. In a heavy 4- to 5-quart pot, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Once the butter begins to bubble slightly, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to form a …
SEAFOOD GUMBO - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
2007-12-04 · Recipe Seafood Gumbo. By Poppy Tooker Fine Cooking Issue 90. Scott Phillips. Yield: Yields about 3 quarts. Servings: six to eight. If you can, buy fresh shrimp with the shells and heads intact. If not, just the shells can be used to make the stock. Ingredients. 1-1/2 lb. medium shrimp (41 to 50 or 51 to 60 per lb.) or 2 lb. if using head-on shrimp ; 2 cups chopped white …
GUMBO RECIPES | FOOD & WINE
2017-01-17 · Seafood Gumbo. This gumbo is rich and toasty thanks to the dark roux. It's wonderful with oysters, shrimp and crab, but New Orleans chef Slade Rushing of Brennan's says you can substitute what's ...
HEALTHY GUMBO RECIPES | COOKING LIGHT
The first choice on this list had to be our New Orleans Gumbo recipe. The key to an outstanding Cajun gumbo is a deep, dark roux. To get it just right, use a flat-bottomed wooden spoon to get into all the corners of the pot, and be attentive. Cook, stirring continuously, especially during the last 15 minutes.
CLASSIC CHICKEN GUMBO RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
2004-10-17 · Meanwhile, cook the rice following the package directions. Set aside and keep warm. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken to the soup and cook, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes longer, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings with more salt and pepper, as needed.
CAJUN GUMBO WITH CHICKEN AND ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE RECIPE
2019-10-03 · Once chicken has cooled, shred into bite-size pieces. Add sliced andouille to pot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a platter and set aside. Add remaining 1 cup (235ml) oil to …
TRADITIONAL NEW ORLEANS A LOUISIANA STYLE GUMBO RECIPE - A ...
I love it! 🙂 So guys after many attempts and keen observation of different family recipes of Gumbo…. I am finally here to share mine one, which is gonna tickle your tastebuds for sure! So ladies and gentlemen are you ready for this Gumbo recipe! Repeat the Italian phrase after me Mamma mia 😀 . Let’s get into this…. Shall we? What you guys would require to make this …
SEAFOOD GUMBO - MAYO CLINIC
2016-04-09 · Increase heat and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle shrimp with paprika. Add crab meat and shrimp to the gumbo base. Cook until shrimp is pink, or about 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice and top with chopped parsley. To make a bit spicier, serve with Tabasco sauce.
GUMBO RECIPES : FOOD NETWORK | FOOD NETWORK
All Gumbo Recipes Ideas. Showing 1-18 of 104. Jumbo Gumbo. Article. When fall arrives in Louisiana, the gumbo pots come out. Food Network Magazine asked the champs of New Iberia's annual cook-off ...
NEW ORLEANS GUMBO RECIPES
This recipe yields about 6 quarts, but gumbo freezes well and can be thawed without losing flavor. The Gumbo Shop's Seafood Okra Gumbo . 2 lbs. fresh or frozen shrimp, head on about 40-50 count per pound; 2 small blue crabs, fresh or frozen; 3 quarts water 2 tablespoons cooking oil; 1 quart fresh or frozen okra, sliced into ½ inch rounds ; 2/3 cup cooking oil; ½ cup all …
10 BEST SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPES - HOW TO MAKE GUMBO FOR ...
Green gumbo>>>green salad. Get the recipe from Simply Recipes. Courtesy of Jessica Gavin. 7 of 10. Chicken Andouille Sausage Gumbo This is a …
GUMBO | SOUTHERN LIVING
In her cookbook United Tastes of Texas, Jessica Dupuy shares her family recipe for Shrimp and Okra Gumbo. Chicken Soups Chicken-and-Sausage Gumbo. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo . Rating: 3.5 stars 6 . This iconic dish represents everything we love about Louisiana cooking. Leah Chase Gumbo Z'Herbes. Leah Chase's Gumbo Z'Herbes . Rating: 5 stars 1 . Chef Leah …
143 EASY AND TASTY GUMBO RECIPES BY HOME COOKS - COOKPAD
Gumbo with shrimp and sausage/bangers. 🙂. large Gumbo cans • sausage/bangers • corn with red peppers and pàblõnó peppers mixed in • black-eyed beans/Nero beans • Salt • Creole seasoning (original) • Hot Sauce • Lawry's herb and garlic with Lemon juice marinade. 2 hrs. 25 min. serves 7. The hart Of The Kitchen".🙂.